Unemployment is at a historic low… that’s awesome! So, get ready for 2020.
But, 2020 will not be the year:
- mothers are forced to extremes to cope, from ingesting “illegal” products to sleeping in vacant homes.
- our country is still only one of three to not offer statutory paid maternity leave.
- black women also continue to put their lives at risk because of inadequate pre-and post-natal treatment.
- mothers are in stressful, demanding roles. Thus resulting in PTSD, postpartum mental health issues, and miscarriages.
- women untreated for maternal mental health disorders.
- of female professionals still earning lower wages than men.
- mothers are forced to pump in bathroom stalls.
- women lack representation in the fields where we need support from each other the most, such as the medical industry.
- women fail to negotiate their schedules and pay.
- mothers fail to challenge their employers to enhance their leave policies.
- moms without access to paid family leave are forced to leave the workforce.
- moms without access to childcare benefits are forced to leave the workforce.
Nope. So, get ready for 2020! This will be the year,
policies support working mothers inside and outside of the home.
the shift in gender expectations, norms, and societal structures.
Get ready… 2020 will be the #YearoftheMother.