The Nonprofit Organization Secretly Advancing Public Policy
A Better Balance
Since 2006 A Better Balance has been dedicated to advancing justice for workers, so they can care for themselves and their loved ones without jeopardizing their economic security.
This year alone the New York nonprofit advocacy organization has assisted over 3,000 people through a free and confidential legal helpline. This helpline directly supports and empowers workers who have questions about their legal rights.
- A Better Balance also provides comprehensive know your rights information to workers through a Workplace Rights Hub.
- A Better Balance hasn’t just advocated for change at the national level- they’ve influenced local and state policies.
- Through strategic litigation, they’ve helped to pass laws guaranteeing pregnant workers.
- The organization helped pass paid family and medical leave laws in 10 states.
- They’ve passed paid sick time laws in 16 states and dozens of localities.
- Likewise, they have been instrumental in legislation for working families.
Moreover, A Better Balance believes that the government should pass fair, equitable, and inclusive workplace policies to support caregivers. Especially low-wage working mothers of color, who have long been shouldering the brunt of the care crisis.
Hence, ABB finds itself advocating for the following before year’s end.
Paid Leave for All
A Better Balance is a leader in the federal Paid Leave for All campaign. They have helped to pass successful paid family and medical leave policies at the state and local levels across the country.
Protections for Breastfeeding Mothers
New mothers returning to the workplace are too often forced to choose between breastfeeding and their paycheck. Right now, millions of nursing workers don’t have an affirmative right to the time and space they need to express breast milk on the job. Also, this can have health consequences, and often leads to new parents being pushed off the job.
Maternal Health and the Climate Crisis
A Better Balance participated in a legislative briefing on how the climate crisis exacerbates the shocking racial disparities in maternal health in the nation. They have also played a leading role in fighting to pass the Pregnant Workers Fairness Acy. Which would ensure that vulnerable workers can access accommodations to protect their health and the health of their babies.
In short, the legal team at A Better Balance combats discrimination against pregnant workers and caregivers. And also advances supportive policies like paid sick time paid family and medical leave, fair scheduling, and accessible, quality childcare and eldercare.